Financial Aid FAQ

This compilation of frequently asked questions (FAQs) serves as a valuable resource, offering clarity on common questions and demystifying the financial aid landscape.

General Aid

Where can I view my financial aid?

You can view your financial aid information in our student information system Populi. It lists all aid you have received, shows your Cost of Attendance, and you can accept and deny aid there. 

Navigate to your Financial Aid tab:

  1. Under your name in the light gray area, click the Financial tab
  2. In the white area, click the Financial Aid tab


When will you process my FAFSA?

The Financial Aid Office begins processing FAFSAs within two weeks of either receiving your FAFSA or your admission to Central, whichever is last. When it is processed, you will receive a Financial Aid Offer or other communication from the Financial Aid Office. If you are not admitted, we recommend you work with your counselor to complete the admission process.

*For the 24-25 academic year, we are processing them slower, based on many factors, in the order they are received.

Am I considered a dependent or independent student?

Your dependency status determines whose information you must report when you fill out the FAFSA. Read more at to determine your dependency.

I’m going to be married during the school year I am filling out the FAFSA for. Can I fill out my FAFSA as “married”?

No. You must indicate your marital status as of the date you are completing the FAFSA.

What is verification and why was I chosen for verification?

From time to time, the financial aid office may request that you send additional information to the college. This may be because your FAFSA has been selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, or it may be miscellaneous information is needed to determine financial aid eligibility. Learn more about verification here.

Aid & Scholarships

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Each type of aid has its own requirements. For federal student aid, Access Missouri, Central Grant, and institutional endowed scholarships, you must reapply every year. For the SEAL Scholarship, you must apply every year to receive an add-on but not to keep what you've already received. 

Do I get financial aid in the summer?

The answer to this question varies for each student. In general:

  • Pell Grant: YES
  • Institutional aid (SEAL, Central Grant, Visit Grant, etc): NO
  • Loans: Maybe
  • Access Missouri: NO

To know for certain, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

If I live on the Moberly campus and I decide to move off-campus or take classes solely online, what happens to my financial aid?

All aid except the SEAL Scholarship will remain the same. The SEAL Scholarship is reduced for students who live off campus or take classes solely online. View the SEAL policies here to understand the details. 

If I live in the campus apartments, can I use my financial aid to pay for it?

Yes, you may use financial aid to pay for your residence.

Is there any aid available to international students?

International students who are not able to fill out a FAFSA can still be eligible for our institutional aid. At this time, we do not offer any additional scholarships to international students.


How do I decide which loan(s) to get?

Federal student loans typically have lower interest rates than private loans. Loans taken by students (subsidized and unsubsidized) have the lowest interest rates, while parent loan interest rates are higher.

How many hours do I have to be enrolled during a semester to receive federal student loans?

You need to be enrolled in at least 6 hours and be degree-seeking to be eligible for federal student loans.

My parent applied for a parent loan, how long will it take to process?

The Direct Parent PLUS Loan generally takes 7-10 business days to process. Once a credit decision has been made, your parent will receive two letters, one from Direct Loans and the other from the Financial Aid Office with additional information regarding the future processing of the loan.

What if my parent is denied the plus loan?

If your parent is denied, they will have the option to appeal the credit decision or apply with a credit-worthy co-signer. Your parent will contact the Direct Loan Origination Center, P.O. Box 5962, Montgomery, AL 36102-5692 or at 1-800-557-7394 to make these arrangements.

If your parent chooses not to appeal or apply with a credit-worthy co-signer, then you the student will be eligible to borrow an additional Direct Unsubsidized Loan:

  • Freshman/sophomore: up to $4,000
  • Junior/senior: up to $5,000