Central Christian College of the Bible was founded in February of 1957, when the board of directors, led by chairman O. S. Lincoln, unanimously declared and affirmed that “the purpose of the school is to recruit and train leadership for the church at large according to the New Testament teaching.” Central remains exclusively committed to pursuing this purpose. Through the years, growth has come in facilities, resources, and alumni. Graduates of Central Christian College of the Bible are serving across the nation and around the world. Central’s impact has become not merely regional, but global. With the worldwide placement of Central’s graduates, alumni are serving the Lord’s kingdom in the “uttermost parts of the earth.” Several dedicated presidents have led the College in its history.
John W. Hall (1957-1959), a minister in Vandalia, Missouri, was charged with the task of setting the College in order. He selected the first faculty of five men, two of whom still teach for the College: Lloyd M. Pelfrey and Gareth Reese.
Grayson H. Ensign (1959-1966) made improvements in the administrative and bookkeeping procedures of the College. In addition, he was able to eliminate the first mortgage as well as purchase other property to provide room for expansion.
Walter L. “Jack” Spratt (1966-1972) led the College’s acquisition of the current campus property. Several buildings were erected during that time, including a Cafetorium (a combined cafeteria, library, and assembly area) and dormitories, which also housed classrooms.
Lloyd M. Pelfrey (1972-1998) worked to eliminate the debts from construction. In 1980, Memorial Hall (later renamed Pelfrey Hall) was completed, which housed offices, classrooms, food services, and a gymnasium. Initial accreditation with the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges (now, The Association for Biblical Higher Education) was received in 1982, with reaffirmations in 1987 & 1992.
Dr. Russell James (2000-2005) led the College’s transition to the Full-Tuition Scholarship with careful planning and successful fundraising. This contributed to a period of rapid growth, culminating in the highest enrollment in the institution’s history. During his tenure, the facilities were renovated and expanded. ABHE accreditation was reaffirmed in 2003.
Dr. Ron Oakes (2006-2013) led the College through the process of receiving candidacy with the Higher Learning Commission in 2013. Under his leadership, the Walton Student Center was constructed, online education was developed, and ABHE accreditation was reaffirmed in 2013.
Dr. David Fincher (2014-present) served 12 years as Vice-President of Academics before being named President. A 1993 graduate of CCCB, he has focused on connecting with alumni, defining the institution’s vision, and implementing a five-year strategic plan. This included balancing the budget, withdrawing from the regional accreditation process, and updating our facilities for energy efficiency.
Central is an Accredited Institution with the Commission on Accreditation of The Association for Biblical Higher Education 5850 T.G. Lee Blvd, Ste 130, Orlando, Florida, 32822 Phone (407) 207-0808 Website: www.abhe.org
ABHE is also listed by the United States Department of Education as a recognized agency for biblical higher education. This makes Central recognized by the Department of Education. ABHE is recognized by the International Council for Evangelical Theological Education, the theological education affiliate of the World Evangelical Alliance. The Association’s member institutions are recognized by the Department of Justice, the Veteran’s Administration, and other relevant federal agencies in the United States.
ABHE is recognized by CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation), the national accrediting organization that serves as an umbrella over all recognized accrediting bodies.
Churches have indicated their approval of Central Christian College of the Bible by their support in financial gifts, by sending men and women to be trained for Christian service, and by employing Central alumni.
As a result of being listed in the Directory of Higher Education, Central is approved by the Missouri Department of Higher Education for certification and distribution of veteran’s benefits allowing veterans to receive all the benefits they have earned by serving our country.
Because Central is a United States Department of Education approved institution, Central students are eligible for participation in Federal grant and loan programs. Central participates in the Pell Grant Program, the Work-Study Program, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program, the Academic Competitiveness Grant program, as well as the Federal Stafford Student and Parent PLUS Loan Programs.
Central is located in the north-central Missouri city of Moberly, the largest town in Randolph County, with a population of approximately 15,000. The community, located 90 miles south of Iowa on Highway 63 and 70 miles west of Illinois on Highway 24, provides a friendly atmosphere with numerous job opportunities. Other educational opportunities in the immediate area are provided by Moberly Area Community College and an extension campus of Columbia College.
From 1957 to 1968 the campus was located east of downtown Moberly on Ault Street. In 1968 the College moved to its present campus in southeastern Moberly. The College’s property is adjacent to Moberly Middle School, Moberly High School, and Zion Lutheran Church. To find the campus, take US Highway 63 to Moberly and exit at Urbandale Drive/Route M. Follow the signs one mile west and the campus is on the north side of the street at 911 E. Urbandale Drive.
Central’s campus features seven buildings and two outdoor athletic fields. Pelfrey Hall contains the dining hall, gymnasium, offices, and classrooms. The Reese Resource Center, completed in 2001, contains the library and bookstore. Lang Hall is the men’s residence hall and Spurling Hall is the women’s residence hall. North of Pelfrey Hall is the maintenance facility. Built in 2004, Mabee Foundation Hall houses both men and women on separate floors. The Walton Student Center opened in Fall 2010 to provide a place for Central’s student body to fellowship and relax together.
The Faculty of Central Christian College of the Bible ascribe to the following theological affirmations. Students are expected to be able to know the College’s positions on these topics while coming to their own biblical conclusions.
The College also ascribes to the Tenets of Faith shared by all members of the Association for Biblical Higher Education (abhe.org)
We hold ourselves to a high standard of Christian excellence. All students are required to sign a pledge to abstain from all alcohol, drugs, R-rated movies, M-rated video games, and to hold themselves to a high standard of modesty and conduct. We are determined to guard our Christian witness and reputation as ambassadors of Christ with committed faithfulness. Learn more about our standards.